Tuesday, January 31, 2012

•trust your feelings•

I'm watching Star Wars for the first time with Penn.  After the usual stalls--popcorn, dishes, drinks, cat shoo'd away from my spot on the couch--we finally started the movie.  10 minutes in, I took him in my lap.  He was trembling, he was so excited.  Teeth literally chattering.

We skipped some scary parts (aunt beru-bq, trash compactor), but now it's full speed ahead to the Thai fighters and that two-meter sweet-spot Luke has to hit to 'splode the Death Star.  Penn is now on his feet and blasting the screen with his EZ-squeeze toothpaste tube squeezer.

The whole reason I've been putting this off, I realize, is me.  I'm the precious one, not my four-year-old.  Somewhere, it became important to me that he feel the sanctity of these movies... so I kept falling back on "he's too young."  Today was one of those I-can't-believe-I'm-that-Mom days.  Wherein I finally realized what a dork I've been.  It's nice, sitting here and watching this clunky old movie with my kid.  I'd forgotten how awesome, Alec Guinness.

Just now, from the couch--
Me: He shut off his computer, because he's using The Force!  He's just using his feelings!
Penn:  (holds up toothpaste thing) Did I break this?

xox

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how special these posts are (not to mention your toddler blog sidebar). My son is 3.5, and his thought process continues to amaze and baffle me.

    Their quotes in isolation sounds psychotic, at times.

    Their moments of "sanctity" are never when we hope or expect them to be.

    And it's just amazing that these little creatures are their own people. And that we have them in our charge.

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the 4 year olds learn from us, and sometimes we learn from the 4 year olds. That's as it should be. I enjoyed watching and listening as you and Penn sat on the couch, Lis. (Pass the popcorn, please...)

    ReplyDelete